The breakup Ottoman Empire and the French and English Mandates
- The "sick man of Europe" Ottoman Empire breaks up and becomes Turkey
- British and French divide previous Ottoman land into mandates
- Suez Canal and oil fuel their interests
- The Sykes-Picot agreement in 1916 gave Britain most of the territory
- Iraq, Trans-Jordan and Palestine to British
The Ottoman Empire or "sick man of Europe" breaks up and eventually becomes present day Turkey, while France and Britain divide the land equally into mandates. Their interests are fueled by the idea of oil, and additionally the Suez Canal. Although the Sykes-Picot agreement signed in 1916 gave the British the majority of the territory.