- Anti-war demonstrations became very popular in the US
- President Nixon was elected in 1968 on peace platform
- Nixon wanted to find a way out honourably
- Developed Vietnamization with the help of Henry Kissinger and Henry Cabot-Lodge
- The plan had a two track formula
- 1) make the South well trained enough militarily that they could withstand the North on their own.
- 2) Strengthen the South's government to attract the broader base.
In the United States Anti-war demonstrations had become popularized around the same time President Nixon was elected on a peace platform in 1969. He wanted to find a way out of office honourably following a scandal involving the Republicans. With the assistance of Henry Kissinger and Henry Cabot-Lodge Vietnamization was created. The plan was intended to Strengthen the South's government to attract the broader base, and to help the South become well trained enough in a militaristic sense, so they could withstand the North individually.